12 February 2017

Why Tricyrtis?

On the question of 'Why of all plants have you chosen Tricyrtis?'

I like so many plants, it is indeed difficult to pick only one that ranks as ultimate favourite of all. A common 'problem' (if a problem at all) amongst plant enthusiasts and collectors. Certainly then having to choose a genus as an all time favourite is even more difficult, because the plant species within a genus may vary quite significantly. However, on my rather long plant list of favourites, Tricyrtis has always been fairly high up.

To be honest, until recently, I did not know much more about Tricyrtis then the popular T. formosana. As much as I could guess that there were more out there, yet that species alone won my heart instantly. I love the exotic look of the flower, its star-shape appearance with those maroon dots and freckles all over, and then topped by this mysteriously looking stigma. And if you look closely the surface of the petals and tepals is so velvety it sparkles in the sunshine. A highly attractive flower.

Tricyrtis formosana

When I first learnt about Tricyrtis about 10 years ago, it was talked about as a speciality, thought to be tender and therefore a tendency to be classed as a rare plant. Indeed, Tricyrtis is not a common sight in English gardens. Generally I like special or rare plants, gems amongst the sea so called of easy-maintenance and good performance plants. This does not necessarily mean rare plants are all difficult to grow, but there certainly is a tendency, hence their meager success in the commercial world. But more so, uncommon plants are just different to what you see every day and stand out of the crowd, an aspect I always cherish.

Now as I learn more about this wonderful genus, Tricyrtis actually is not that tender at all so long one does not live in the deep freeze. They can cope with frost alright. Perhaps not so well on the continent, where frosty spells last several weeks potentially (although the climate is changing and seasons are by no means predictable anymore).

Another big brownie point for Tricyrtis is that it loves shady woodland habitats, just like my other top favourites: ferns. My all dream garden (beside a lush subtropical one) is full of ferns (Adianthum, Cyrtomium, Dryopteris, Polystichum, only to name a few), tree stumps, Ophiopogon, Luzula, lots of moss, a few hostas and witch hazels, snowdrops, bluebells and maybe a small stream meandering through. Tricyrtis fit in perfectly!

So with my initial research I searched for a Tricyrtis National Collection on the Plant Heritage Website, thinking to learn more about these plants from an expert collector. To my surprise, there is no registered NPC. I wonder why? Does Tricyrtis not appeal for collection? I do know that many people do collect plants but are simply put off by the NPC paperwork and therefore never appear on searches like this.

Who will I be in future? Maybe I will become that expert collector one day as part as the conservation scheme, or maybe I remain in the background? I have not made my mind up as yet. Only that I love this genus and I am keen to learn more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment